Author Topic: how to control CPU usage  (Read 4523 times)

luigimcaslan

how to control CPU usage
« on: August 06, 2014, 10:08:24 AM »
Hi,

quite new to QUBE and not so tech savvy.

I'd like to reduce the CPU usage when someone has logged-in the computer.
I'm already using the qblock/unlock at login/logout with the "purge job" option but I'd like to keep using 2 or 4 cores on those machines.

I've found this article about MPC and QUBE http://www.awn.com/news/mpc-taps-pipelinefx-s-qube-e4-brand-campaign

and at some point it says:

To improve workflow, the team replaced Net Render with Qube!, which could utilize available cores on their desktop even as they were working.

I'm wondering how could it be done..

Thanks,
Luigi

jburk

• Administrator
Re: how to control CPU usage
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 05:23:31 PM »
You won't be able to reduce the number of cores in use by a running job, so you'll have to continue to use the --purge flag to qblock to kick the currently running job off the worker, but you can specify a number of cores to lock with the --range in combination with the purge, so that it will kick the job that's using all the cores off the worker, but then accept another job that is configured to run a specific number of threads.

For example, on a 12-core worker, you can leave 4 cores open with the following:

qblock --range 1-4 --purge

But then you will also need to ensure that the jobs in queue don't use the 'host.processor=1+' reservation (which means "start on a worker with at least 1 free slot).

If you've previously been using the 'render on all cores' checkbox in the submission UI, you'll need to uncheck that and then check the 'Expert Mode' checkbox at the bottom to expose the 'Render App Uses a Specific Number of Threads', tick the 'Slots=Threads' box to ensure that your job reserves as many worker slots as it has running threads, and set the "Specific thread count" to '4'

Check the attached screen shot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

luigimcaslan

Re: how to control CPU usage
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »
Thank you,

I'll try it.

Luigi